You are here:   

UCC Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I file?

A UCC can be filed online or submitted to the Department of Financial Institutions using a paper form.

What makes a UCC form standard?

The National UCC Financing Statements are the only forms accepted for filing as standard. Any other form you would use would be considered nonstandard. Only one copy is required.

Where can I get UCC forms?

On the forms page.

Who do I make a check payable to?

Make checks payable to Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions.

How long is my filing active?

A financing statement is active for five years, statutory agricultural lien for five years, transmitting utility is perpetual, Public Finance Lien is thirty years and Manufactured Home Lien is thirty years. A continuation will extend the filing for another term if filed within 6 months of expiration.

Does a termination change the status of a filing?

No, the termination does not change the status of a filing in the Central Filing System. The filing remains active in the database until it reaches its expiration date.

What are UCC Notifications?

UCC Notifications are a way for the filer of a lien to be informed of any changes to their original filing - regardless of who makes the change. Individuals filing an original lien using a Online Account, will have the option of purchasing a UCC Notification Service for their original filing. In the event an amendment to the original lien is filed or a termination takes place, the service will send an email to the address associated with the online account under which the notification service was purchased. The notification service is good through the expiration of the filing.

Questions relating to Uniform Commercial Code Liens should be directed to:

Department of Financial Institutions
Division of Corporate and Consumer Services
Uniform Commercial Code Section

Mailing Address:
PO Box 7847
Madison, WI 53707

Express Mail Address:
4822 Madison Yards Way, North Tower
Madison, WI 53705

Contact Us:
UCC Information: 608-266-8915
UCC Fax: 608-264-7965

For questions relating to a Lien release on a Motor Vehicle Title, call DFI Division of Banking at (608) 261-7578.