Uniform Commercial Code
The Uniform Commercial Code Section of the Division of Corporate & Consumer Services at the Department of Financial Institutions examines and files documents under the Uniform Commercial Code, including statements of business indebtedness, consignments, terminations, and financing statements and maintains the statewide Uniform Commercial Code lien system.
New Filing Rejection Policy
Beginning July 1, 2019, UCC documents that are received in a state that is unsuitable for filing with the Department shall be fully and completely reject by the Department. The Department will not ‘hold’ filings that are awaiting corrections, revisions or additional fees or information from the filer.
Any fees received that are intended for filing a rejected document will be submitted for a refund to the filer immediately and will be refunded as soon as allowable under Department policy.
Rejected filings will need to be corrected and submitted anew, along with all appropriate fees for that filing.
DFI's new UCC and Trademark processing system is now available
You will notice several changes from our old system, so please take some time to become familiar with the new accounts structure and features that are available. Highlights of the new system include:
- User Accounts are mandatory for using the new site. (Creating a User Account is free.)
- All UCC Filing types can now be filed online; including certified searches, filings with attachments, and uncommon filing types.
- Trademark filings are now available for filing online.
- Automated subscription services are available for UCC filing data.
These user manuals may be helpful in understanding and becoming familiar with the new system.
- User Guide – Basic Information and Navigation
- User Guide – Search
- User Guide – UCC Filings
- User Guide – Data and Notification Subscriptions
- User Guide – Trademark Filings
UCC Filing Services
- File Online - Initial filings, amendments, continuations, terminations, etc.
- UCC Bulk Filing by XML – Instructions and a sample filing will be available in the near future.
- Search Lien Filings - For information about filings after July 1, 2001.
- County Filing Offices - For information about filings prior to July 1, 2001.
- Data Services - How to obtain data and/or images
- If you have WI UCC questions, please call us at 608-266-8915 or send e-mail to DFI-UCC@dfi.wisconsin.gov.
- For questions relating to a Lien release on a Motor Vehicle Title, call DFI Division of Banking at 608-261-7578.
- For Realty-Related (Fixture) Filings, please refer to the Wisconsin Register of Deeds website.