You are here:   


Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is Intent to Revoke?

A: Foreign entities that fail to file an annual report within four months of the March 31st due date, are subject to having their Certificate of Authority/Registration revoked by DFI. Attempts are made to contact these entities by US Mail. If the mail cannot be delivered, the entity name is published in a Notice of Intent to Revoke. If DFI does not receive an annual report within a given time period, the entity will be revoked and it will appear on the Certificate of Revocation list.

For complete details, check the following Wisconsin Statutes sec. 180.1531 or sec. 181.1531 or sec. 183.1020 .

Q. What do I do now?

A: If your entity received the "Notice of Intent to Revoke" and you want the entity to remain in existence in Wisconsin, you must file an annual report. You can access and file this report at by clicking on "I Want to File…", then Annual Report. If you do not want to keep the entity in existence, don't do anything and you will see a Certificate of Revocation published 60 days after the Notice publication. There are no late fees or penalties.

If your entity has received a "Certificate of Revocation" and you want the entity to be reinstated, Corporations can request reinstatement information within six months of the effective date of the revocation. LLC’s must re-qualify by filing an Application for Registration, form 521.

Q. I thought I withdrew my company years ago. Why is it on the list?

A: The only way to withdraw an entity is by filing a Withdrawal and Final Report/Application for Withdrawal with the Department of Financial Institutions. If a withdrawal was received and filed by the Department, then we would not have grounds to Revoke the entity. If you received notice of intent to revoke, and believe that an attorney or accountant filed the withdrawal document, you should contact that attorney/accountant and ask for a copy of the filed document. Filing a final tax document with the Wisconsin Department of Revenue or the IRS telling them that you are withdrawn does not terminate the entity with this department.

Q. What if I want to voluntarily withdraw my entity?

A: You have the option of filing withdrawal: for a business entity, form 24; a nonstock, not-for-profit entity, form 124; a limited liability company, form 524. Please visit our website at and click on the entity type heading. The filing fee will be in the instructions.