Apostilles are documents issued by the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions (DFI) to certify signatures of public officials and notaries public on documents issued in Wisconsin to be used outside the United States of America. Some examples of documents submitted include: birth certificates, adoption papers, marriage licenses, corporate documents, school transcript records and trademarks. Apostilles are expected in countries that are parties to the Hague Convention of 5 October 1961.
How to Obtain an Apostille
Prepare Your RequestEach Apostille request must contain some basic information:
- Your public documents that require an Apostille
- Country for document destination (only one country per request form)
- Fee: $10 each standard document, $35 each expedited document
- Method to return your documents: Pickup or Prepaid postage (Priority shipping or US Postal)
Complete the Request Form and Forward Your Documents to DFITo obtain an Apostille from Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions, you can:
- Complete the request form online, pay with a credit card, then mail or hand deliver your documents and the printed confirmation page (or printer-friendly version of the order) to DFI for processing. Delivery addresses and instructions for the return of your documents and Apostille are shown on the order form.
- Fill out and print the request form, then mail or hand deliver the request form, payment and your documents to DFI. Delivery addresses and instructions for the return of your documents and Apostille are shown on the order form.
Email: dfiApostille@dfi.wisconsin.gov Phone: (608) 266-8915